Thursday, January 7, 2010

Day 1

Monday arrives. We're all off doing our normal daily routines but now walking is going to become a part of that routine.

Vicki was the first to clock her miles....she headed to her basement and kept walking to keep herself warm. She walked for 20 minutes in the morning and another 25 in the afternoon. She was getting us off to a good start and encouraging the rest of us to get moving.

Kandy is going to strap on a pedometer and walk around in her house. She did do some walking throughout her house the first day. There's no pressure on Kandy right now, we're going to let her contribute what she can to this journey but she's in the Flintstone Car with us. She ain't heavy, she's our sister.

Pam walked 1 mile that evening with Leslie Sansone. As for how Pam felt… well, when Leslie said, “You’ve made ½ mile!” she thought, “ONLY ½ mile?! Ugh!” But did feel better after that. Pam said she could probably have pushed herself further after the 1 mile mark but allowed herself to be happy for reaching today’s goal.

Myself.... First I walked circles through the house....in the living room, in to the dining room and kitchen, back to the bedroom.....I got bundled up and went out and walked up and down my driveway for about 15 minutes. My pedometer said I walked 1.69 miles. When I was outside walking I thought, "Keep moving and you won't get cold." Then I was thinking, "If my neighbors see me they'll think I'm nuts." Then I was looking at the lights hitting the snow and thought how pretty it was.....looked like my front yard was covered with little diamonds.

Robin took the challenge and walked 30 minutes in her living room and finished it up with a 5 minute jog. Even if she wasn't totally up for it, she came through for us.

Tweety was a busy girl the first day with shoveling snow and doing all kinds of chores. That evening she walked her mile and could have walked further but said it was too cold to stay out.

OK—we did GREAT today!! We have a total of 7 miles which means our Flintstone car made it all the way to the Yoskovich Funeral Home in Carmichaels from Jefferson!!! Thought maybe I should go out and walk another mile so we didn't have to stop for the night at a funeral home. We should be able to make it to Greensboro tomorrow.

We're all having fun and doing something good for ourselves and each other. The beauty of this group thing.....we keep each other motivated. Maybe there will be a day when these Flintstone flippers of mine aren't going to be wanting or feeling like making that ol' cave-car go. That's where my sisters come in and boost me up--and we'll do the same for any one of us feeling like we just don't want to take that walk today.

Stay tuned.....

No comments: